Passion for what you do is the only thing that matters. Yes, skill is important. Experience is important. Other things play a part for sure, but it’s the actual passion that drives.
Take a look back at a project that didn’t go right and chances are that the people involved weren’t jacked. Without passion all we tend to do, is all we have to. With passion you get:
- Caring. When you love what you do - you’ll go above and beyond. When work is just work, it means a standard grey 9 - 5 punch-in punch-out bare minimum, do enough not to get in trouble kinda’ day.
- Heart. People do better work when they’re invested. Period. Better work, better product, better ideas, and more... yes more effort. Heart is not just a feel’y-good’y thing... heart = profit.
- Enthusiasm. Happy is just happy. When people are happy politics fall away, the small problems fall away and people work together. Passion builds alignment as a side effect.
- It’s contagious. Sure within the team or group. But also to the client. (hint - get your most passionate people in front of the client).
- Problem solving. The more you care, the more diligent you are at making sure your solution is right, not just adequate.
I want to work with people that care. People that get upset when “it” isn’t awesome. Passion is infectious, it’s how we get great work and it’s just more fun.